×
September 19, 2017

Democratic Reps. Raul Grijalva (Ariz.), Luis Gutierrez (Ill.), and Adriano Espaillat (N.Y.) were arrested Tuesday on disorderly conduct charges during a protest outside Trump Tower in Manhattan.

The three members of Congress were part of a small group of demonstrators calling for a law to help undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States by their parents as children. Protesters sat down on Fifth Avenue and wouldn't move, The Associated Press reports, and they were eventually handcuffed and led away by police, who said they issued desk appearance tickets. They have all been released.

Before the protest, organizers said the lawmakers planned on getting arrested, and on All In with Chris Hayes after his release, Gutierrez said the goal was to keep the spotlight on the issue. When working with immigrants, "you see the fear, the trepidation that exists, and it's hurtful, it's painful to see that," he said. "I want to say, 'We're fighting.'" Trump, in town for his United Nations address, was supposed to be at Trump Tower at the time, but wasn't on the premises. Catherine Garcia

10:51 a.m.

In a statement released late Monday, Facebook provided a range of updates into its handling of Friday's Facebook Live-streamed New Zealand mosque shooting, in which 50 people were killed. Among its most disturbing revelations: that though the video was viewed approximately "200 times during the live broadcast," nobody reported it to the service for 29 minutes, or a full 12 minutes after it ended — by which time it had been "viewed about 4,000 times."

Facebook also said that it had removed a staggering 1.5 million videos of the shooting in the first 24 hours after the attack, 1.2 million of which had been "blocked at upload." Despite this, The Washington Post notes that the video nonetheless spread to other platforms, including YouTube, in the hours after the massacre.

The shooting — the third such incident to be broadcast on Facebook Live since the feature's public debut in 2016 — has led to widespread criticism of Facebook and other social media platforms, including by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. "We cannot simply sit back and accept that these platforms just exist and that what is said on them is not the responsibility of the place where they are published," said Ardern on Tuesday that. "This cannot be a case of all profit, no responsibility."

Facebook said that "We remain shocked and saddened by this tragedy and are committed to working with leaders in New Zealand, other governments, and across the technology industry to help counter hate speech and the threat of terrorism." Jacob Lambert

10:28 a.m.

"Egg Boy" is the not the newest member of the Avengers, but a few thousand donors think he should be.

After Australian Senator Fraser Anning put out a disturbing statement blaming "immigration" for the New Zealand mosque shootings that killed 50 people, Will Connolly, a 17-year-old from Australia, literally smashed an egg on his head. Supporters quickly set up a GoFundMe fundraiser to pay Connolly's legal fees — which the Australian teen now says he'll redirect to the Christchurch victims.

Anning, who The Washington Post says "may be Australia's most reviled politician," earned criticism across the board after suggesting that an "increasing Muslim presence" in his country and New Zealand prompted the Friday shooting. Connolly made his opinion on the statement pretty clear on Saturday, slapping an egg on Anning's head at a news conference. Anning punched back, but it was Connolly who ended up the hero in Melbourne, Australia, where a mural now commemorates him as "Egg Boy."

Despite Connolly saying he would not pursue charges against Anning, supporters on Saturday set up a GoFundMe for his potential legal fees, per CBS News. Messages posted between the anonymous fundraising organizer and Connolly show he wanted "a majority of the money" to actually go to the Christchurch, New Zealand victims, and now the page promises that's what will happen. As of 10:00 a.m. EST on Tuesday, more than 3,000 donors have raised a combined $62,000 — far over its original $50,000 goal. Kathryn Krawczyk

10:18 a.m.

The Office of Refugee Resettlement is reportedly holding several unaccompanied minors in off-the-book shelters throughout the United States, an investigation by Reveal found.

The total number of sites is unknown, but Reveal reports that there are at least five such shelters in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. They are holding at least 16 boys and girls after they were transferred from known refugee shelters. The shelters reportedly specialize in caring for children with mental health and behavior challenges.

The federal government has not made the existence of the shelters public "or even disclosed them to the minors' own attorneys in a land mark class-action case."

Holly Cooper, an attorney who represents the class of unaccompanied minors in the agency's care, said the government did not report every minor's location and believes the ORR continues to withhold information about other locations.

The ORR's standards do allow for out-of-network transfers if the federal facilities cannot provide specialized services. But failing to provide both attorneys for the detained children and a detailed census of the minors in custody appears to violate "longstanding rules for the care of immigrant children," such as the Flores Agreement. Former ORR Director Robert Carey said there was no such arrangement for migrant children in 2015 and 2016, as far as he knew.

The ORR has not yet commented on Reveal's report, though the office did acknowledge the request. Read the full report at Reveal. Tim O'Donnell

10:01 a.m.

Pixar is ready to make you cry — and possibly have an existential crisis — for the fourth time in a row with Toy Story 4.

Disney on Monday debuted the first full trailer for the animated sequel, in which we see that Bonnie has created a homemade toy out of a spork, and in the latest instance of this series tackling some surprisingly disturbing aspects of life as a toy, it comes to life and begins to ask questions like "Why am I alive?" When Forky runs away, Woody goes after him.

This leads him to reunite with Bo Peep, who disappeared sometime between the events of Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 and who Woody finds in an antique shop surrounded by creepy, Goosebumps-style ventriloquist dummies. Although Woody wants to return Bo Peep and Forky to Bonnie, seeing what life is like for toys at a carnival appears to leave him questioning whether they should leave at all. In that way, the plot seems fairly similar to Toy Story 2, which also involved Woody meeting another group of toys and nearly deciding not to return home.

Pixar years ago teased Toy Story 4 as a love story between Woody and Bo Peep, and that still appears to be the case, although some fans are already theorizing that she'll turn out to be the villain of the film — or that she'll be revealed to be an entirely different toy. The trailer also teases flashbacks of Andy, the toys' owner from the first three films, who is seen playing with Buzz and Jessie.

Toy Story 4 hits theaters on June 21. Watch the trailer below. Brendan Morrow

9:06 a.m.

George Conway has been sniping at President Trump for months, but subtweeting the president with clinical definitions of personality disorders was apparently a bridge too far for Team Trump. On Monday night, Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale tweeted that Trump had turned "Mr. Kellyanne Conway" down for an unspecified "job he desperately wanted," adding kind of incongruously that Conway "either fired/quit, didn’t want the scrutiny" of working at the Justice Department. Conway, a prominent conservative lawyer, "hurts his wife because he is jealous of her success," Parscale suggested.

This prompted a tweet from the president of the United States himself, who deemed his senior counselor's husband "a total loser." Conway didn't seem hurt, tweeting back the clinical definition of narcissistic personality disorder.

Conway also congratulated Trump on spreading the word about mental illness, in a manner of speaking, and linked to a Rolling Stone article he said will help people "understand you, and why you're unfit and incompetent for the esteemed office you temporarily hold."

If you're interested in perhaps the most interesting marriage in Washington, CNN had a fortuitously timed segment on the Conways on Tuesday morning, and you can watch it below. Peter Weber

8:13 a.m.

The White House is pushing back on a new book, Kushner Inc., detailing Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner's role in President Trump's administration. Its author, Vicky Ward, told The Late Show's Stephen Colbert on Monday that "if Sarah Huckabee Sanders wants to get into a credibility ratings battle with me, I'll take her on."

Trump is "very ambivalent" about having his daughter and son-in-law working in his White House, Ward told Colbert. "He was very ambivalent about having them come in, he hates it when they get negative press." If that's true, Colbert said, "why do you think the president doesn't get them out of there?" Ward said then-Chief of Staff John Kelly tried to force them to resign, on Trump's orders, "they came to resign, and Trump couldn't do it. ... He cannot send his daughter home."

Some of Trump's supporters argue that "his daughter and her husband may be his undoing, that they are far more dangerous to him than Robert Mueller," Ward said. For example, she said, Kushner's role in firing James Comey as FBI director was much greater, more public, and more apparently self-serving than is widely known. "Is there anybody left to check the influence of Jared and Ivanka?" Colbert asked. Ward said yes, first lady Melania Trump, "the only person in my book who has ever successfully stood up to Ivanka Trump and won."

Ward revisited the Melania-Ivanka standoff in an ABC News The Investigation podcast posted Tuesday, and she suggested a motivation for Jared and Ivanka's misbehavior: "Most people go into government for public service. They do seem to have gone in for self-service." Ward said she doesn't know if "these two will be held accountable," but it could "two ways: Either they will, as a combination of Congress and prosecutors or, you know, their path, their trajectory will continue as it has which seemingly is remarkably unstoppable." Listen below. Peter Weber

5:23 a.m.

The two-decade-long relationship between Deutsche Bank and Donald Trump has been rocky and clearly beneficial only to Trump, The New York Times detailed Monday night. One branch of the giant German bank after another stopped doing business with Trump, after loan defaults, creative litigation, and other red flags and hiccups.

After Deutsche Bank's commercial real estate unit severed ties with Trump in 2004, he sought a large loan from the investment-banking division, the Times reports:

Mr. Trump told Deutsche Bank his net worth was about $3 billion, but when bank employees reviewed his finances, they concluded he was worth about $788 million, according to documents produced during a lawsuit Mr. Trump brought against the former New York Times journalist Timothy O'Brien. And a senior investment-banking executive said in an interview that he and others cautioned that Mr. Trump should be avoided because he had worked with people in the construction industry connected to organized crime. Nonetheless, Deutsche Bank agreed in 2005 to lend Mr. Trump more than $500 million for the project. [The New York Times]

After Trump sued the investment-banking unit when he couldn't pay back that loan, he started getting loans from the bank's private-banking arm. And when he sought $100 million for a golf course in Miami, "Deutsche Bank dispatched a team to Trump Tower to inspect Mr. Trump’s personal and corporate financial records," the Times reports. "The bankers determined he was overvaluing some of his real estate assets by as much as 70 percent, according to two former executives."

Still, by that time Trump "was swimming in cash from The Apprentice" and had little debt, so "aside from his history of defaults, he was an attractive borrower," the Times says. He got the loan, and cited it in the presidential campaign to fend off attacks on his business acumen. Read more at The New York Times. Peter Weber

See More Speed Reads