Another 14 lawsuits have been filed from people seeking damages in connection to the mass shooting Oct. 1 at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, which left 58 people dead and more than 500 injured.
The complaints, filed in Clark County on Wednesday, allege that Mandalay Bay, the hotel from which the gunman fired on the crowd, did not adequately train its security staff and did not have a plan for what to do during an active shooter situation. Additionally, the plaintiffs want to know why there weren't more security cameras in place on the 32nd floor, where the shooter's room was located. The suits also claim that Live Nation Entertainment, the festival's organizer, did not train employees properly on what to do in an emergency and did not have clearly marked exits, and alleges that Slide Fire Solutions, the manufacturer of the bump-stock devices used by the gunman to fire faster into the crowd, sells its products "without any reasonable measures or safeguards and which the killer used to such horrifying ends."
Attorney Timothy Titolo told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the plaintiffs are from Nevada, California, and Illinois, and include concertgoers and at least one employee who worked the festival. "Of these 14 cases, there's a couple who were shot and survived, a wrongful death, and a lot of other people who were hurt not by a gun, but by shrapnel or during the escape," he said, adding that all experienced emotional trauma. Catherine Garcia
Mandalay Bay owner MGM Resorts International continues to question the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department's timeline of the Oct. 1 shooting that left 58 people dead and almost 500 injured at the Route 91 Harvest Festival.
On Monday, police said Stephen Paddock, 64, shot 200 rounds into the hallway of the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay six minutes before he started firing on the crowd outside. When he shot into the hallway, he hit an unarmed Mandalay Bay security guard named Jesus Campos in the leg. Police said he started shooting at concertgoers at 10:05 p.m., and over 10 minutes, fired more than 1,000 rounds. Officers made it to the 32nd floor at 10:17 p.m., two minutes after he stopped shooting. This timeline was different from one released the previous week, which said Paddock shot through his door and wounded Campos after he finished shooting at the crowd.
In a statement released Thursday, MGM Resorts International said the revised timeline came from a report that was put together after the mass shooting, and "we are now confident that the time stated in this report is not accurate." MGM Resorts International said Paddock shot Campos "at the same time as, or within 40 seconds after" he began firing into the crowd at the festival, and Campos was able to radio for help. A maintenance worker also called for help after hearing the shots, and asked the dispatcher to notify police that there was someone on the 32nd floor shooting a rifle, the company said. The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department did not comment on MGM Resorts International's statement. Catherine Garcia
MGM Resorts International, the parent company of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, released a statement Tuesday night disputing the latest police timeline of the Oct. 1 mass shooting targeting the Route 91 Harvest Festival.
MGM Resorts spokeswoman Debra DeShong said the investigation is ongoing "with a lot of moving parts," and the company "cannot be certain about the most recent timeline that has been communicated publicly, and we believe what is currently being expressed may not be accurate." On Monday, Sheriff Joe Lombardo told reporters that a Mandalay Bay security guard who police previously said had been shot after Stephen Paddock fired at the music festival was actually shot beforehand, and also said Paddock checked into the Mandalay Bay resort on Sept. 25, three days earlier than originally reported. Lombardo also told The Las Vegas Review-Journal on Tuesday that the timeline "could change even more" in the coming days. Catherine Garcia
YouTube has responded to the Las Vegas shooting by expanding its category of prohibited content. The shooting suspect, Stephen Paddock, used a device called a bump stock to make his weapons fire more rapidly, and YouTube will now ban all video tutorials showing users how to make this modification to their own guns.
"We have long had a policy against harmful and dangerous content," the site said in a statement. "In the wake of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, we took a closer look at videos that demonstrate how to convert firearms to make them fire more quickly and we expanded our existing policy to prohibit these videos."
The decision is unlikely to ruffle many feathers as YouTube is a private company and thus unregulated by the Second Amendment. Furthermore, even the NRA has expressed support for "additional regulations" on bump stocks. Bonnie Kristian
Eight days after Stephen Paddock shot nearly 500 people, killing at least 58 of them, investigators still don't have any answers to the big outstanding question: Why? Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters on Monday that he is "frustrated" because "this individual purposefully hid his actions leading up to this event, and it is difficult for us to find answers for those actions." Discovering the motive is "our most important goal," he said.
But when pressed by reporters, Lombardo said there were some "minute changes" to the timeline, notably that Paddock shot Mandalay Bay security guard Jose Campos at 9:59 p.m., six minutes before open firing on the Route 91 Harvest Festival concert below, not at 10:18 p.m., three minutes after the shooting ended. He said Campos had responded to a door alarm on the 32nd floor, not Paddock's door, adding that he would not assume that wounding Campos sped up Paddock's mass shooting. Last week, Lombardo speculated that Campos' presence might have caused Paddock to stop shooting concertgoers. Investigators do not know why he stopped firing after 10 minutes, or when he shot himself.
Lombardo also said that the shooter fired at gas canisters near the concert venue, speculating that, combined with protective gear he had in his suite, he might have been planning to use exploding tanks and the resulting chaos and carnage as a diversion to make an escape. "We do not know whether he had planned to cause additional harm outside of what happened at Mandalay Bay," Lombardo said. "We do not believe there is one particular event in the suspect's life for us to key on. ... We believe he decided to take the lives he did and he had a very purposeful plan that he carried out." Peter Weber
Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock may have had other people in his suite between checking into the Mandalay Bay Resort on Sept. 28 and killing at least 58 people and taking his own life on Oct. 1, NBC News reports. Authorities are trying to understand why Paddock had a phone charger in his room that did not match any of the phones he owned and are additionally puzzled by a period when garage records show Paddock's car left the hotel but one of his keys was used to access his room.
"There are several possible explanations for these anomalies, the investigators say, but they want to get to the bottom of it," NBC News writes.
Investigators have yet to find a motive for the attack, although Paddock may have explored other targets before landing on Las Vegas, including the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago and Fenway Park in Boston. Jeva Lange
Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock would "lie in bed just moaning and screaming 'oh my God,'" his girlfriend, Marilou Danley, told investigators, who remain without a satisfying motive for the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history nearly a week after the attack. The former FBI officials who relayed Danley's account to NBC News added that while Danley described "mental health symptoms," authorities do not believe Paddock's health had reached such a state as to satisfyingly explain his horrific actions.
In addition to not understanding what drove Paddock to his attack — which was meticulously planned and perhaps involved scouting possible locations in other states — investigators are trying to learn what the gunman did in the hour between shooting a security guard outside his hotel room and being discovered dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound by a SWAT team. It was unclear how long Paddock had been dead in the room before he was found.
"I hope to hell they find, when they do the autopsy, that there's a tumor in his head, or something, because if they don't, we're all in trouble," said the shooter's brother, Eric Paddock. NBC News writes that authorities believe at the very least Paddock "may have been in physical or mental anguish." Jeva Lange
The gunman responsible for the Las Vegas massacre booked a hotel room approximately 500 feet from the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago over the summer, but "did not show," NBC News reports. The festival in Grant Park, which ran from Aug. 3-6, drew over 400,000 people, including former President Barack Obama's daughter, Malia, the New York Post notes. Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock booked a room in Chicago for Aug. 1 and another room for Aug. 3 and "specifically requested both rooms to have a sweeping view of Grant Park," the Post adds.
Paddock also explored "possible locations in Boston," law enforcement said Thursday.
On Wednesday, it was reported that Paddock also rented at least one condo in the Las Vegas residential high-rise the Ogden the weekend before he opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest Festival concert from a suite on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel. Paddock's stay at the Ogden fell during the Life is Beautiful festival — which ran Sept. 22-24 and featured Lorde and Chance the Rapper. A law enforcement official guessed that perhaps Paddock meant to fire into that concert but lost his nerve or changed his mind. Jeva Lange