Update
February 10, 2020

The aftermath of Iran's January missile strike is looking more and more serious by the day.

The U.S. military will soon announce more than 100 troops suffered traumatic brain injuries after Iran attacked an Iraqi military base where they were stationed last month, a U.S. official tells Reuters. That's an increase from the 64 diagnosed troops the government originally acknowledged, and comes after Trump dismissed the injuries as "headaches."

Iran launched the Jan. 8 attack after the U.S. government assassinated Gen. Qassem Soleimani on Jan. 3. The U.S. military was reported to have advance notice of the strike, and Trump said the next day that "no Americans were harmed." Trump later repeatedly characterized any injuries sustained as "not very serious," and that he'd heard the troops had suffered only "headaches."

A Pentagon spokesperson later confirmed those headaches were actually traumatic brain injuries, and the count of those affected was upped to 64. Monday's report would add another 30-plus injured troops on top of that, per Reuters. CNN later confirmed Reuters' story via a U.S. official.

A later statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Alyssa Farah revealed that "nearly 70 percent of those diagnosed" have since been able "to return to duty." "This is a snapshot in time and numbers can change," Farah acknowledged. Kathryn Krawczyk

January 13, 2020

An inflammatory report about Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) may have come from Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) herself.

Back in 2018, Sanders and Warren had a meeting to discuss their likely presidential runs against each other, during which Sanders said he didn't think a woman could be elected, CNN reported earlier Monday. Sanders immediately slammed the report as "ludicrous," but more sources are now telling BuzzFeed News the comments match what Warren told them after the meeting.

Sanders and Warren were close friends before the 2020 race and have remained so throughout it, though things became tense Sunday morning when Warren said she's "disappointed" that Sanders was "sending his volunteers out to trash me." The CNN report only inflamed things further, with Sanders accusing the Warren campaign staffers who told CNN the story of "lying."

Yet three people who spoke to Warren in the weeks after her 2018 meeting with Sanders said CNN's reporting aligns with what they heard from Warren herself, they tell BuzzFeed News. And while Sanders acknowledged in his Monday statement that he told Warren that President Trump is a "sexist, a racist, and a liar who would weaponize whatever he could," sources who spoke to The New York Times said Sanders added that "such attacks would preclude a woman from being elected."

The Warren campaign has yet to respond to the reports, but Sanders' campaign manager gave yet another vehement declaration that the story was "a lie." Kathryn Krawczyk

January 13, 2020

The Department of Justice has declared the December shooting at Pensacola, Florida's Naval Air Station was an "act of terrorism."

An FBI investigation has concluded Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, a Royal Saudi Air Force member training at the base, was motivated by "jihadist ideology" to open fire on the base last month, Attorney General William Barr announced Monday. But the probe into the shooting that killed three people and the gunman isn't over yet, with Barr making a public plea to Apple to decrypt the shooter's two iPhones so the FBI can further investigate.

So far in the investigation, Apple has given the FBI some materials from the shooter's iCloud account, but hasn't unlocked the phones altogether. Barr argued Monday that the FBI needs Apple to unlock the phones to "exhaust all leads in this high priority national security investigation."

The press conference came shortly after the U.S. reportedly decided to expel Saudi aviation trainees from the Pensacola base and others around Florida. Barr said Monday that decision was made in conjunction with Saudi Arabia, as several of the trainees had been found to have child pornography or other "derogatory material" on their phones. Kathryn Krawczyk

January 18, 2019

The mystery of when Unsolved Mysteries would finally receive a reboot has just been solved.

Netflix will bring back the classic true-crime show with the original co-creators returning, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Also on board are Stranger Things producers Shawn Levy and Josh Barry. This new version will tackle one case per episode, and Netflix says it will "maintain the chilling feeling" that characterized the original run while "telling the stories through the lens of a premium Netflix documentary series." Also like the original, Netflix says the reboot will "look to viewers to help aid investigators in closing the book on long outstanding cases."

Unsolved Mysteries originally aired on NBC for nine seasons starting in 1987, with Robert Stack taking viewers through a series of strange cases that sometimes had a paranormal bent and sometimes leaned more toward standard true-crime. CBS picked it up for two more seasons starting in 1997; it later had a two-season run on Lifetime and a short-lived revival on Spike in 2008. After Stack died in 2003, the Spike reboot was hosted by Dennis Farina. Classic episodes are currently available for streaming on Amazon Prime and Hulu — but not on Netflix.

This, is course, is just the latest in a long series of examples of Netflix bringing back classic shows, and it will add to Netflix's ever-growing catalogue of true-crime series like Making a Murderer. The streaming service has ordered 12 new episodes of the show but has not yet announced a new host or given the reboot a release date. Brendan Morrow

November 11, 2015

The University of Missouri police arrested a suspect Wednesday morning for allegedly making "a terrorist threat" against black faculty and students, The New York Times reports. The suspect in custody is Hunter Park, a sophomore at Missouri University, about 90 miles south of the University of Missouri. Police said that the suspect "was not located on or near the MU campus at the time of the threat," which was made via anonymous, location-based messaging app Yik Yak. Though the campus initially beefed up security, it opened to a normal schedule Wednesday.

Park's arrest comes shortly after the university system's president and chancellor resigned in the face of mounting student protests over how the administration has responded to race-related incidents. Becca Stanek

November 5, 2015

Egypt and Russia on Thursday dismissed concerns expressed by U.S. and British officials that the Metrojet plane crash that killed 224 people in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula may have been caused by a bomb planted by ISIS.

"The investigation team does not have any evidence or data confirming this hypothesis," Egypt's Civil Aviation Minister Hossam Kamal said in a statement. Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov called the information "unverified" and said the West was pushing it because of "geopolitical resistance to Russia's actions in Syria."

U.S. investigators are still reviewing the evidence, but one anonymous official told CNN on Wednesday that "the analysis is pointing toward the cause being a bomb," a concern echoed by the British government. Becca Stanek

November 4, 2015

The Illinois police officer whose death sparked a huge manhunt in September had staged his suicide as an elaborate cover-up for embezzlement, Commander George Filenko of the Lake County Major Crimes Task Force announced at a press conference Wednesday. Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz was found dead on Sept. 1 about 150 feet from his squad car near the small Illinois town of Fox Lake, after he radioed in that he was in pursuit of three "suspicious subjects." His death led to a manhunt that lasted for weeks and led to concerns about a rise in violence against police officers. Filenko said that the veteran officer had been embezzling money for seven years from the police department's youth mentorship program, which he led.

"There are no winners here," Filenko said. "Gliniewicz committed the ultimate betrayal to the citizens he served." Becca Stanek

April 29, 2015

Following a Tuesday report by TMZ that legendary folk singer Joni Mitchell had lapsed into a coma, a statement has been posted to Mitchell's official website, assuring fans that the TMZ story was false.

"Contrary to rumors circulating on the internet today, Joni is not in a coma," said the statement. "Joni is still in the hospital — but she comprehends, she's alert, and she has her full senses. A full recovery is expected. The document obtained by a certain media outlet simply gives her longtime friend Leslie Morris the authority — in the absence of 24-hour doctor care — to make care decisions for Joni once she leaves the hospital. As we all know, Joni is a strong-willed woman and is nowhere near giving up the fight. Please continue to keep Joni in your thoughts."

Mitchell's health problems began in March, when she was rushed to the hospital after being found unconscious in her Los Angeles home. TMZ has not retracted its original story. Scott Meslow

See More Speed Reads