FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
June 18, 2017

At least two tourists were killed Sunday after three gunmen attacked the Le Campement resort near the capital of Mali, CNN reports.

Two of the three gunmen were also killed, and a third is missing. Mali's Ministry of Security and Civil Protection said the attack was carried out by "armed individuals, certainly terrorists," who exchanged gunfire with the country's anti-terror forces. Police rescued 32 people, and three U.N. staffers injured in the attack have been taken to a local hospital. The Le Campement is popular with tourists and expats who host meetings and retreats there.

Earlier this month, the U.S. Embassy in Bamako issued a travel warning, urging Americans to avoid locations that do not have a lot of security, including hotels, restaurants, and churches. Catherine Garcia

May 28, 2017
Oli Scarff/Getty Images

British police on Sunday arrested a 25-year-old man in connection to the suicide bombing in Manchester that killed 22 people at an Ariana Grande concert Monday. This is the 14th arrest linked to the attack; 12 people remain in custody.

On Saturday, police released photos of Salman Abedi, the Manchester-born man responsible for the bombing. "We are gathering a detailed picture of Abedi as the investigation develops and now need people to tell us if they have any information about his movement," said an official statement.

British Home Secretary Amber Rudd has also implemented a temporary exclusion order, requiring special vetting for "suspected Islamic terrorists" seeking to return to the U.K. until it is certain Abedi does not have accomplices still on the loose. "The operation is still at full tilt," Rudd said, with about 1,000 people working the case. Bonnie Kristian

May 28, 2017
Ted Aljibe/Getty Images

The bodies of eight men who appeared to be civilians executed for attempting to flee hostilities were found Sunday on the outskirts of Marawi City in the Philippines, where militants claiming ties to the Islamic State terrorist group have staged a six-day occupation. By one body, a sign was placed reading "munafik," which means "traitor" or "hypocrite."

This brings the death toll of the conflict to about 85, including at least 19 civilians. Controversial Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has declared martial law in the area as government forces combat the rebels using ground troops and airstrikes.

Civilian evacuations are also underway. "Some have no food at all. Some fear for their lives," said Zia Alonto Adiong, an official organizing rescue efforts. "This is a conflict that has gone beyond proportion. The magnitude of the degree of the damage and the people that are affected ... it's really massive." Bonnie Kristian

April 9, 2017
Stringer/Getty Images

At least 15 people were killed in the Somali capital of Mogadishu on Sunday by a suicide car bombing believed to be a failed assassination attempt targeting the new Somali military chief, Ahmed Mohamed Irfid.

The blast occurred on a busy street near the Somali defense ministry. The bomber attempted to crash the armed vehicle into an envoy carrying Irfid but hit a minibus carrying civilians instead. "When we arrived at the scene, we counted bodies of 15 people, most of them were severed," said Mire Aden, a police chief. "A number of soldiers are among the dead," Aden reported, and none of the injured civilians survived.

The al-Shabaab terrorist organization, which frequently bombs official targets in Somalia, claimed responsibility for the attack. Bonnie Kristian

April 9, 2017
Stringer/Getty Images

A pair of bomb attacks on two Coptic Orthodox churches in Egypt on Sunday killed at least 43 people and injured dozens more. The churches were celebrating Palm Sunday, the start of Holy Week before Easter, and the death toll is expected to continue to rise. The Islamic State claimed responsibility.

The larger attack took place in a city called Tanta, near Cairo. "There was blood all over the floor and body parts scattered," said a woman who was inside the church when the bomb exploded.

The second bomb was in Alexandria and targeted the seat of the Coptic Church's Pope Tawadros, who was not injured. "Every now and then, I see a person crying — I think they are Christian — and they keep saying, 'Have you seen my family? Have you seen my family?'" said an eyewitness of the attack aftermath in Alexandria.

Pope Francis and Grand Sheikh Ahmed el-Tayeb, a leader of Sunni Islam in Egypt, both denounced the bombings and expressed their condolences for the victims. "I pray for the dead and the injured, and I am close in spirit to the family members [of the victims] and to the entire community," Francis said during his own Palm Sunday celebration. "May the Lord convert the hearts of the people who are sowing terror, violence, and death, and also the hearts of those who make and traffic weapons."

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi responded by deploying the soldiers to assist police in securing other potential targets. "So sad to hear of the terrorist attack in Egypt. U.S. strongly condemns," President Trump said in a tweeted statement. "I have great confidence that President Al Sisi will handle situation properly."

This is a breaking news story and has been updated throughout. Bonnie Kristian

March 25, 2017
Niklas Halle'n/Getty Images

Two men remain in custody Saturday for questioning in connection to the deadly attack at Westminster Bridge in London on Wednesday. The attacker, a 52-year-old English native born Adrian Russell Ajao but known as Khalid Masood, was fatally shot by police at the scene of the crime.

Police are now investigating whether Masood "acted totally alone inspired by terrorist propaganda, or if others have encouraged, supported, or directed him." The two men currently detained were among 11 people arrested so far; of the others, seven have been released without charges and two women have been released on bail.

Londoners meanwhile have deluged the area where the attack occurred with a veritable sea of flowers. "You will always be in our hearts," said a note from London Mayor Sadiq Khan to Masood's victims. "Londoners will never forget the innocent people who lost their lives." Bonnie Kristian

March 3, 2017
Drew Angerer/Getty Images

A new report from the Department of Homeland Security finds foreign-born extremists who plan violent attacks in the United States typically radicalize only after they have lived in America for some time.

"We assess that most foreign-born, U.S.-based violent extremists likely radicalized several years after their entry to the United States," the document says, "limiting the ability of screening and vetting officials to prevent their entry because of national security concerns." In other words, President Trump's suspended immigration executive order — all other controversies aside — may not be the best tool to weed out extremists, because they often aren't radicalized at the time of immigration.

Other key findings in the study, which was obtained by MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Show and appears to be the final version of a draft document obtained by The Associated Press in February, include the fact that "foreign-born, U.S.-based individuals who were inspired by a foreign terrorist organization to participate in terrorism-related activity were citizens of 26 different countries, with no one country representing more than 13.5 percent of the foreign-born total."

The top seven countries in the list of 26 only partially correspond to the list of seven countries subject to Trump's order: The DHS report lists Pakistan, Somalia, Bangladesh, Cuba, Ethiopia, Iraq, and Uzbekistan, while the the Trump order targeted Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen. Bonnie Kristian

February 19, 2017
Farah Abdi Warsameh/Associated Press

An estimated 14 people were killed and another 30 wounded by a car bomb in the Somali capital city of Mogadishu on Sunday. The explosion happened in a crowded intersection, with shrapnel hitting nearby food stalls and shops.

"I was staying in my shop when a car came into the market and exploded. I saw more than 20 people lying on the ground," said an eyewitness named Abdulle Omar. "Most of them were dead and the market was totally destroyed." Most of those killed are believed to be civilians, though Somali security forces were also in the area.

No terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far, though it was likely perpetrated by al Shabaab, an al Qaeda-linked Islamic extremist group that seeks to overthrow the Somali government. On Sunday, al Shabaab in a radio message denounced Somalia's new president, who holds dual U.S. and Somali citizenship, as an "evil-minded" "apostate" whom Somalis should not support. Bonnie Kristian

See More Speed Reads